Environmental Policy for 2023
Mission: Sarfaranga is fully committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations and will continuously review our efforts in this regard. To achieve this, we are taking action in the following areas:
Responsibility: The Sarfaranga Management team is responsible for ensuring the implementation of our Environmental & Travel Policies. However, all of our partners share the responsibility within their respective areas to ensure the policy’s aims and objectives are met. We ensure that all staff, freelancers, and participants in our projects and programs are informed about this policy during their induction and understand their role in its implementation. We will conduct an annual review of our Environmental Policy.
- We use eco-friendly products.
- Proper disposal of waste products (no disposal down the sink).
- Introduction of a no-smoking policy or designated smoking areas.
- Purchase of Fair Trade products.
- Reduction of waste and landfill contributions.
- Prioritization of repair, upgrade, and recycling of IT equipment before disposal.
- Maintenance of a litter and graffiti-free environment.
- Utilization of recycled paper products and reusing scrap paper.
- Avoidance of plastic products or ensuring they contain recycled content or can be reused.
- Preference for recycled aluminum and steel cans.
- Purchase of energy-saving products.
- Avoiding overordering.
- Supporting local suppliers.
- Avoid heating spaces that are not in use.
- Switching off lights when leaving a room.
- Use of energy-efficient bulbs.
- Turning off computer screens when not in use (saving up to 50% of energy if left on).
- Avoiding leaving equipment on standby or overnight.
- Adoption of digital and online communication methods.
- Emphasis on email, e-newsletters, and social media communication over paper mailouts.
- Engaging local printers.
- Avoiding excessive printing.
- Recording and reporting of waste and recycling data to the Tourism Department.
- Waste reduction measures, including double-sided printing, email instead of paper/envelopes, bulk purchases, and tracking waste production.
- Promoting reuse of materials such as scrap paper, envelopes, rechargeable batteries, and reusable water bottles.
- Commitment to recycling by purchasing recycled paper products, separating waste for recycling, and donating used printer cartridges to recycling firms.
Environmental Policy Action Plan:
- Continual monitoring of carbon emissions.
- Development of a climate adaptation strategy.
Sarfaranga Environmental Travel Policy:
- Ensuring all staff, freelancers, and program participants are aware of and contribute to the implementation of this policy.
- Encouraging the use of public transport, especially by booking it for incoming staff, freelancers, and artists.
- Reducing car journeys and promoting shared transportation options.
- Recording and measuring the carbon footprint of freight.
- Planning transportation logistics to minimize the number of vehicles used.
- Data recording parameters: mode of transport, mileage, start and end points, fuel consumption (for hire vehicles).
Travel Choices (in order of priority):
- Shared Car
The Travel Policy will undergo an annual review to ensure its effectiveness and relevance.